Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book 22-24: The Hunger Games trilogy

Completed April 11th


I'm going to attempt a major-spoiler-free summary/review of this beast, which means I can only really discuss the 1st book. Let me say up front that I freaking loved this series. It's brilliantly written and tugged at every emotion I have inside me.

These books are set in a dystopian future, where The United States has collapsed and a new country called Panem takes its place. Within Panem are 12 Districts and 1 Capitol spread across the land. People in the Capitol are spoiled by luxury and never want for anything. They are frivolous with their fashion, food, and bodies. Life in most of the Districts is very different. Each District specializes in a certain industry like mining, textiles, technology, or agriculture. Government control is total. People are starving. The Districts are surrounded with electrical fencing and there is no communication between them. Anyone who defies the government is killed and breaking even minor laws can result in whipping or other torture.

Every year something called the Hunger Games takes place to remind the Districts of a past revolt against the government. A male and female between ages 12-18 are selected from each District to participate. The participants, called tributes, are trained for a week before being sent to a massive wilderness to kill each other. Only one tribute can survive. The winner's District is given more food for one year and the winner him or herself is made wealthy for the duration of his or her life. The Games are televised and everyone is required to watch.

Enter Katniss. The Hunger Games is told from Katniss' point of view as she is thrown into a world of horror and nightmares.

Like I already mentioned, I loved this trilogy. Katniss' struggles were realistic and painful. There were occasions when I wanted to bop her upside the head, but I guess maybe I'm a bit more trusting. And when you think about where she came from - having to fight for every mouthful of food, watching people she cares for dying, being used as a pawn for a bigger plan - it's no wonder. Catching Fire was my favorite of the three, though they're all wonderful. I've heard that Mockingjay didn't live up to the expectations of a lot of people, but I thought the ending was perfect for this series.

Ratings:
The Hunger Games 9/10
Catching Fire 10/10
Mockingjay 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment