Sunday, January 2, 2011

Book 1 - Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

So here we are...The 50 Book Challenge!

I'm not going to make a list of books before I read them because I think it'll limit me...and I'm a moody book chooser. I started this one ...



...a couple days before 2011, but finished 3/4 of it on the 1st, so I'm counting it as book number 1!

I first read this novel in an undergrad parody literature class several years ago and it has been a favorite since that time. You know how (or maybe you don’t) the Bible goes from Jesus being ~12 to 30 with no story in between? Well, Jesus’ pal Biff is resurrected to tell the true tale from his point of view in this novel.

Religion aside, at its base this book is just about an awkward kid trying to find himself and figure out his destiny. The journey Joshua (Jesus' name...from the Hebrew Yeshua) and Biff take is epic. It's hilarious without trying too hard, but also deeply moving. Some might think that a new gospel about Jesus' life would be dull and moral. Well, this isn't that kind of gospel. We get to see characters from the Bible like never before...from Joshua's hot mom Mary to the smart and strong Maggie, who is known as Mary Magdalene...not to mention a more up close look at the 3 wise men. Here, this explains it better...




You know how the story ends when you begin it. Joshua is crucified. As an abstract idea it's still powerful to think of crucifixion, but after getting to know Joshua over the last 300 pages--to read about his struggles and all he has learned, about his hope for humanity, the absolute purity of him--it's heartbreaking. Tears. Seriously. Tears for Joshua's end and the end of Biff's gospel in general.

This is a must-read. You even have the author's blessing...



I wanted to start the year off with something I knew I liked and this is in the top 5 for me.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment